Jump To Top


Three signs in the eyes you could be having a cluster headache – see a GP ASAP

Between too much stress and not enough sleep, headaches often crop up during the worst times.

The common problem troubles around one in every 20 adults on a daily basis, according to the World Health Organisation.

While no headache is pleasant, cluster headaches are often dubbed the worst because of the debilitating pain they cause.

Described by sufferers as a “papercut” in the centre of the head and a “white-hot poker” in your eye socket, cluster headaches describe excruciating attacks of pain in one side of the head.

This intense pain can often be especially strong around the eye, according to the NHS.

READ MORE Man has ‘debilitating’ condition that feels like poker being driven into his eye

While horrendous pain will probably be the first to ring alarm bells, your eyes could also hold clues.

The health service explains the following signs might strike in this area:

  • A red and watering eye
  • Drooping and swelling of one eyelid
  • A smaller pupil in one eye.

Don’t miss…
Man has ‘debilitating’ condition that feels like poker being driven into his eye[INSIGHT]
Cluster headache symptoms: What is a cluster headache?[INFORMER]
How to get rid of a headache: Best medication for minimising pain[TIPS]

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

While cluster headaches are rare, you should seek medical help if you think you might be suffering from the culprit.

The NHS states: “You should see a GP as soon as possible the first time you experience what you think may be a cluster headache.”

Your doctor will query about your symptoms and may refer you to any necessary tests.

In some cases, the expert might decide to send you for a brain scan to exclude other conditions that can have similar symptoms.

If you end up being diagnosed with a cluster headache, you’ll usually need to see a specialist, such as a neurologist to work out your treatment plan.

Unfortunately, over-the-counter painkillers, such as paracetamol, don’t target cluster headaches but there are other options.

Source: Read Full Article

  • Posted on July 31, 2023